Simple Low Cost WAN Link Simulator Recommendations

Jim Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Fri Mar 18 17:27:18 UTC 2011

Loopback <loopback at digi-muse.com> wrote:
> Need the ability to test Network Management and Provisioning
> applications over a variety of WAN link speeds from T1 equivalent up to
> 1GB speeds.  Seems to be quite a few offerings but I am looking for
> recommendations from actual users.   Thanks in advance.

I've used both Mini Maxwell and Maxwell Pro from InterWorking Labs with great
success:

http://minimaxwell.iwl.com/
http://maxwell.iwl.com/

The Maxwell Pro has a bunch of interesting capabilities - it can be used to
actually modify packets as they pass through (like changing IP addresses and
port numbers, or messing with other parts of selected packets.) Obviously that
goes beyond simple WAN emulation.

Jim