bfd-like mechanism for LANPHY connections between providers

Sudeep Khuraijam skhuraijam at liveops.com
Thu Mar 17 00:00:20 UTC 2011

Correct me if I am wrong but to detect a failure by default BGP would wait the "hold-timer" then declare a peer dead and converge.
Hence the case for BFD.

There a difference of several orders of magnitude  between BFD keepalive intervals  (in ms) and BGP (in seconds) with generally configurable multipliers vs. hold timer.
With Real time media and ever faster last miles, BGP hold timer may find itself inadequate, if not in appropriate in some cases.

For a provider to require a vendor instead of RFC compliance is sinful.

Sudeep