SP's and v4 block assignments

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Mar 15 14:02:45 UTC 2011

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Andrew Elliott wrote:
>
>> Looking for information on the current standard practices for charging customers
>> for larger than default v4 assignments.
>>
>> Especially with the rapidly depleting v4 space, how are SP's handling these
>> requests?  Is it safe to assume customers requesting larger blocks are willing
>> to pay a premium?
>>
>> How much are SP's charging and what are the thresholds?  What are default
>> allocations based on?  (ie: size of the circuit, type of product, etc...)
>>
>> Are SP's requiring more strict justification for said assignments?
>
> "Larger than default"?  There are rules about allocating IP space, it has to do with justification, not default sizes.
>
> Charging for them means you are likely a spammer or provider catering to spammers, and lying on your justification forms.  Hopefully these types of providers will go away as space gets tighter and justifications are scrutinized more.

You've not been an ISP for too long.  Charging for IP space (even
justified, not being used for spamming) is pretty common.  I don't get
involved in sales very often, so I don't know what we charge for them, but
I know we do.  I don't believe our rates for IPs have changed [yet] in
anticipation of IPv4 runout.  Our standard IPv4 assignment for dedi/colo
single servers has been /28.  For cloud, it's /32.  Anything more adds to
the MRC.  I can see the former shrinking soon to /29 or /30 unless the
customer demands more.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |