Why does abuse handling take so long ?

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Mon Mar 14 23:35:05 UTC 2011

On 3/14/11 9:11 AM, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> On 3/13/11 9:35 PM, goemon at anime.net wrote:
>> the real cesspool is POC registries. i wish arin would start revoking
>> allocations for entities with invalid POCs.
>>
> Hear, hear!
>
> Leo's remembering the old days (80s - early '90s), when we checked
> whois and
> called each others' NOCs directly.  That stopped working, and we
> started getting
> front line support, who's whole purpose was to filter.  Nowadays, I've
> often
> been stuck in voice prompt or voice mail hell, unable to get anybody
> on the
> phone, and cannot get any response from email, either.  Ever.  The big
> ILECs
> are the worst.
>
> What we need is an "abuse" for ARIN, telling them the contacts don't work
> properly, which ARIN could verify, revoke the allocation, and send
> notice to
> the upstream telling them to withdraw the route immediately.
>
> Force them to go through the entire allocation process from the
> beginning,
> and always assign a new block.  That might make them take notice....  And
> shrink the routing table!  Win, win!
>
> Since we'd only send notification to ARIN about an actual problem, we'd
> only drop the real troublemakers.  To help enforce that, ARIN would also
> verify the reporter's contacts. :-)
Distributing abusive IP addresses within IPv6 is not likely sustainable,
nor would authenticating network reporters and actors.  Filtering routes
could be more manageable, and would leave dealing with compromised
systems within popular networks.  Calling for abuse management by ISPs
might be an effective approach when structured not to conflict with
maximizing profits.  A Carbon Tax for abuse imposed by a governing
organization to support an Internet remediation fund? :^)

-Doug