Why does abuse handling take so long ?

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 16:11:54 UTC 2011

On 3/13/11 9:35 PM, goemon at anime.net wrote:
> the real cesspool is POC registries. i wish arin would start revoking allocations for entities with invalid POCs.

Hear, hear!

Leo's remembering the old days (80s - early '90s), when we checked whois and
called each others' NOCs directly.  That stopped working, and we started getting
front line support, who's whole purpose was to filter.  Nowadays, I've often
been stuck in voice prompt or voice mail hell, unable to get anybody on the
phone, and cannot get any response from email, either.  Ever.  The big ILECs
are the worst.

What we need is an "abuse" for ARIN, telling them the contacts don't work
properly, which ARIN could verify, revoke the allocation, and send notice to
the upstream telling them to withdraw the route immediately.

Force them to go through the entire allocation process from the beginning,
and always assign a new block.  That might make them take notice....  And
shrink the routing table!  Win, win!

Since we'd only send notification to ARIN about an actual problem, we'd
only drop the real troublemakers.  To help enforce that, ARIN would also
verify the reporter's contacts. :-)