Why does abuse handling take so long ?

Alexander Maassen outsider at scarynet.org
Mon Mar 14 01:08:08 UTC 2011

Op 14-3-2011 0:21, Leo Bicknell schreef:

> Quite frankly, most ISP's aren't going to take your DDOS report
> seriously via e-mail.  If it's not bad enough to you that it is
> worth your time and money to make a phone call and help them track
> it down it is not worth their time and money to track it down and
> make it stop.
>
> In short, try picking up the phone.  You'll bypass the entire e-mail
> reporting cesspool I just described, and show the ISP you actually
> care.  9 out of 10 times they will respond by showing they care as
> well.

Quite frankly, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. And the answer I
get most of the time there is:
[loop]
- Sorry, email abuse and wait for a reply
- Sorry, I can't help you, wait for a reply on your abuse email
- Sorry, there is nothing I can do, my hands are bound, wait for a reply
from the abuse department
[/loop]

So much regarding the 9 out of 10. It's the 1 remaining that actually
cares and tries something.