Why does abuse handling take so long ?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Mar 13 13:02:47 UTC 2011

> > Why o why are isp's and hosters so ignorant in dealing with such issues
> > and act like they do not care?
>
> they don't act like they do not care. they really *don't* care. no acting.

Well now, I'd say this varies considerably. There are definitely ISPs
that care and *do* work hard at reducing abuse. But even so - assuming
I'm an ISP that cares,

- You're presenting me with evidence of abuse. OK, I don't know you.
Why should I believe your evidence? At best I'm going to take it as a
*hint*.
- If I take your evidence as a hint, I'm going to want to correlate it
with my own logs. This takes time.
- I probably have customer contracts in place that specify under what
circumstances I can actually take the customer off net. My tolerance
of abuse may not be the same as your. Also, "due process" means that
these things take time.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no