Switching Email

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Mar 12 21:46:35 UTC 2011

In message <AANLkTinvbCODXiCQHMcLoP7qG3Mh4388mRP1uEvvkRcF at mail.gmail.com>, Will
iam Herrin writes:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell at utc.edu> wrote:
> > On 3/11/2011 8:24 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:
> >> --- bill at herrin.us wrote:
> >> From: William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>
> >>
> >> No, it isn't. Contrary to mailing list best practices, NANOG
> >> unsubscribe information is stubbornly stashed in the email headers
> one but I can't seem to find any documentation to that effect.
>
> On the other hand, the very first guideline at
> http://www.mail-abuse.com/an_listmgntgdlines.html is:
> "Mailing list administrators must provide [...] clear and effective
> instructions for unsubscribing from a mailing list." Hidden in the
> headers is rather less than clear or effective.
>
> Even that lightweight, the CAN-SPAM act, calls for each message to
> contain "clear and conspicuous notice of the opportunity [...] to
> decline to receive further" messages.

Headers are the ONLY way to do this so it works in all languages
for all the planet.

"Click here to unsubscribe" is a joke when it is written in a
language you don't read.

As for the CAN-SPAM act, it's also a joke.  It doesn't require a
pre-existing relationship where there is a chance the recipient
can read the message.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org