IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Tom Limoncelli tal at whatexit.org
Sat Mar 12 17:52:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Tom Limoncelli <tal at whatexit.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> I think you'll be in for a surprise here, too. The 4G transition is already underway. For the vendors where 4G means LTE, IPv6 is the native protocol and IPv4 requires a certain amount of hackery to operate.
>>

> I'm writing an article where I want to say that but I can't find an
> article I can reference to back it up.
>
> I don't want to accidentally encourage an urban legend or rumor.  (For
> example, I can't find verification to the rumor that ARIN rejected a
> request from LTE providers for IPv4 space and instead told them to go
> straight to IPv6.  I do others in this thread saying that native IPv4
> on LTE is common, so unless someone can give me evidence, I'll have to
> update that part of the article.  OMG i'd love to make that point;
> anyone have proof?).
>
> I could, instead, write, "most carriers will probably roll IPv6 out as
> part of their 4G upgrade" but that sounds wishy-washy.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tom
>
> --
> http://EverythingSysadmin.com  -- my blog (new posts Mon and Wed)
> http://www.TomOnTime.com -- my advice (more videos coming soon)

The article I mentioned I was writing has been published and is now
available on-line here:

         http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1959015

Thanks for all the assistance both on this mailing list and the
private email I received!

Tom Limoncelli
http://www.EverythingSysadmin.com

--
Sign up for my new class "Advanced Time Mgmt: Team Efficiency" at PICC!
April 29-30, New Jersey, LOPSA PICC: www.picconf.org