estimation of number of DFZ IPv4 routes at peak in the future

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Mar 12 07:17:19 UTC 2011

I'm super-tired of the "but tcams are an expensive non-commodity part not subject to economies of scale". this has been repeated ad nauseam since the raws workshop if not before.

You don't have to build a lookup engine around a tcam and in fact you can use less power doing so even though you need more silicon to achieve increased parallelism.

RFC 4984 has a lot of useful insights in it but it was flat wrong about two things since 2007. The impact of rate of growth in the DFZ(for one thing churn failed to grow in lockstep), and the ability of the technology to keep up.

Not all the devices in your network need a 2 million route FIB, yet getting a device today that has one isn't that hard. and it'll be a lot easier in five years and it likely will do so without having a 144Mbit CAM ASIC.

I don't know  if we'll be using commercially viable MRAM implementations in place of SRAM cells in a decade or if we'll have more of the same only smaller and faster and much much wider, Or if the LISP religion will take over the world and we'll carry the state for diversely connected edges elsewhere in the stack. What I am confident of is that as an industry we'll be able to deliver something that works without jacking up the Internet routing system and replacing it, and without somehow altering the individual decision making processes in many tens of thousands of autonomous systems. I am also confident that the early adopters will pay more for the technology than the stragglers, that we will grumble about how much it costs and the inevitability of obsolescence, and that life will somehow go on.

Joel's widget number 2