so big earthquake in JP

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Mar 11 14:11:28 UTC 2011

On Mar 11, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Daniel Belin wrote:

> Are we aware of how much the infrastructure has been damaged yet? Are aftershocks still going?

Subway & bus lines are still down.  Fire at the nuke plant has been put out, no radiation detected, but they still evacuated a couple thousand residents because the backup generator failed & the water pump is not pumping.

The Japanese gov't has sent troops into some areas, asked Washington to let the US service men in .jp (about 50K) help.  I don't know if D.C. has agreed, but I can't imagine Obama would say no.

A few hundred bodies have been found so far.

It is very bad.  But it could have been worse, the Japanese are very well prepared (building codes, emergency procedures, etc.).

--
TTFN,
patrick