Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route table sizeconsiderations

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Mar 10 03:00:57 UTC 2011

Well, it really isn't so bad.  With Brocade FPGA gear you can change how
much CAM is allocated to different functions (but you can't do it on the
fly, it takes a reboot).  I don't think these are available for the CER
series, though.  The MLX or MXR can be reconfigured.  The thing is that
the XMR and MLX are not ASIC-based devices, they are FPGA-based which
means the hardware can be re-wired with a code change.  Personally, I
like to be able to reallocate CAM from features I am not using to
features that I am using.

And to be fair, Brocade has been improving over the past couple of
years.  Now if only we could route layer 3 on MCT VLANS ...
(MCT is sort of like Arista mLAG but it is layer2 only at this point).