Real World NAT64 deployments

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 3 23:25:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Hammer <bhmccie at gmail.com> wrote:
> A little better. So what's the difference between 6to4 and 6in4? Isn't 6in4
> what HE uses?

I haven't used 6in4 so I couldn't tell you.

6to4 is a stateless tunnelling protocol. You have a dual-stacked
router. It has an IPv4 address, 1.2.3.4. Therefore it supports a 6to4
IPv6 network numbered 2002:0102:0304::/48. Somebody tries to send a
packet to 2002:0102:0304::1, it goes to a 6to4 router which
encapsulates the IPv6 packet in an IPv4 packet and sends it to
1.2.3.4.

6to4 is handy as a toy or for experimenting, but it relies on a loose
network of generous volunteers who, while generous, are neither
generous nor numerous enough to support production traffic.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004