TWTelecom DNS issues...

Wil Schultz wschultz at bsdboy.com
Thu Mar 3 03:09:06 UTC 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 6:31 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

Oh sure, here are the ones that I tested and can confirm were down. Well, not "down" but actively refusing queries.

ns1.iplt.twtelecom.net (64.132.94.250)
ns1.milw.twtelecom.net (216.136.95.2)
ns1.orng.twtelecom.net (168.215.210.50)
ns1.snan.twtelecom.net (168.215.165.186)

ns1.twtelecom.net (216.136.95.2, 2001:4870:6082:3::5)
ns2.twtelecom.net (64.132.94.250, 2001:4870:8000:3::5)

ns1.twtelecom.net and ns2.twtelecom.net are well known to be authoritative for a number of domain, and I would have presumed that the rest would be their recursive servers. I found an old welcome letter from them that states ns1.twtelecom.net and ms2.twtelecom.net were the preferred forwarders on the circuit.

Some other network segments use their other resolvers but weren't affected because our internal boxes cache. I can't speak as to why they have it set up this way, but that's the list I have and every single one wasn't working from within or outside of their network. From my testing authoritative requests were never denied, however.

There was a complete outage for a bit over an hour, then it was intermittent for a couple hours after that. Also, good or bad, all of the above servers recurse from on and off their network once again. Their NOC gave me a resolution of "Added an ACL to block an IP address". :-)

Regardless, I'm not using their resolvers anymore but thought it would be helpful in case anyone else saw a segment of their network start yammering about facebook and twitter being down.

-wil