What vexes VoIP users?

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Mar 1 14:53:49 UTC 2011

On 03/01/2011 05:51 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

Er, I'm not sure what the difference you're trying to make.
Is IP running over an L2 with a SLA any less "IP" than one
without a SLA? That's all the DOCSIS qos is: dynamically
creating/tearing down enhanced L2 qos channels for rtp
to run over. It's been quite a while since I've been involved,
but what we were working on with CableLabs certainly was
VoIP in every respect I can think of.

| As I recall, this questionably fair competitive advantage has been
> looked into by ... someone.  (Cablecos won't permit competing VoIP
> services to utilize this protected channel, somewhere between "generally"
> and "ever".)

There's is a great deal of overhead involved with the booking
of resources for enhanced qos -- one big problem is that it
adds quite a bit of latency to call set up. I'm sceptical at this
point that it makes much difference for voice quality since voice
traffic is such a tiny proportion of traffic in general -- a lot has
changed in the last 15 years. Now video... I'm willing to believe
that that enhanced qos still makes a difference there, but
with youtube, netflix, etc, etc the genie isn't getting back in
that bottle any time soon. So Moore's law is likely to have the
final word there too making all of the docsis qos stuff ultimately
irrelevant.

Mike