Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Mar 1 05:34:44 UTC 2011

On Mar 1, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Mark Newton wrote:

> That's new, and (to my mind) threatening.  We've not even begun to consider the attack vectors that'll open up.

I don't think it's new at all, given the amount of information available today that you already cite, down to and including sniffing on toxic hotel networks and the like.

Folks are already easily pwn3d to extremes - look at HB Gary.  This doesn't constitute some huge new attack surface or information leakage - especially given the existence of VPNs/proxies, the tendency to store more and more data/apps on servers/in 'the cloud', and so forth.

In fact, the device one is actually using at any given moment and where one is located when using said device is becoming less and less relevant.

>From a physical-security standpoint, leaky IM, SMTP headers, et. al. already give the game away.

We've been living in this situation for years.  Nothing about EUI-64 changes this fact, IMHO.  I dislike it immensely, but it isn't a game-changer, IMHO.

		The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

			  -- Oscar Wilde