Announcing Project BISMark: ISP Performance Measurements from Home Routers

Nick Feamster feamster at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 27 20:48:35 UTC 2011

Hello NANOG,

We've launched Project BISMark, a project that performs active performance measurements of upload and download throughput, latency, etc. from OpenWRT-based routers running inside of homes.   We have tested our OpenWRT image on the NetGear WNDR 3700v2 and are currently shipping out NetGear routers with the BISMark firmware to anyone who is interested.

1. If you're interested in receiving a NetGear WNDR 3700v2 with our measurement suite, please sign up on the project site. We are planning to give out more devices in mid-July.

You can watch a video about BISMark here:
http://challenge.gov/challenges/114/submissions/3133-bismark-a-broadband-internet-service-benchmark

2. Help us: if you would like to cast your vote for our tool on the project page above for the FCC Open Internet Application Challenge at the link above, we'd really appreciate your support.
http://tinyurl.com/VoteBISMark

3. We're also looking for help in developing software.  Project information and source code at: http://github.com/bismark-devel/

Thanks!
Nick

* To get a sample of the type of data we show to users, watch the video above, or check out the following example (in development): http://networkdashboard.org/device/NB105/
* Note: We do not collect any personal or private data; we only collect data from measurements that we perform, and we will share all of that data with you.