Address Assignment Question

Aftab Siddiqui aftab.siddiqui at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:20:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Bret Clark <bclark at spectraaccess.com>wrote:

> On 06/20/2011 08:13 AM, Steve Richardson wrote:
>
>> What I'd like to know is whether there is a
>> legitimate use for so many addresses in discontiguous networks besides
>> spam?  I am trying my best to give them the benefit of the doubt here,
>> because they do work directly with Spamhaus to not be listed (I realize
>> reasons on both sides why this could be) and searches on Google and spam
>> newsgroups for their highest traffic email domains yield next to nothing,
>> given the amount of email they say they send out.
>>
> Well, not so sure I would worry about legit or not legit use...while ISP's
> are looked at being the police, legally law enforcement are the ones to
> pursue illegal use. But it sounds like you've done you're home work and they
> sound legit. Have them fill out an IP Justification form (as ARIN requires
> i) and go from there. I wouldn't worry about providing them the /24.
> Personally I would charge them for the /24 too, makes users think twice
> about the need for a block that large.

Well its my responsbility (being an ISP) to know whether it is legit or not,
because if it is legitimate than it will take My ASN to pollute the internet
because I don't see if the customer has its own ASN. My reputation will be
at stake because I failed to recognize the difference between policing or
doing my business the right way..

Best Wishes,

Aftab A. Siddiqui