unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jun 20 05:57:34 UTC 2011

On 06/19/2011 22:47, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:32:59 -0700
>> From: Doug Barton<dougb at dougbarton.us>
>>
>> ... the highly risk-averse folks who won't unconditionally enable IPv6
>> on their web sites because it will cause problems for 1/2000 of their
>> customers.
>
> let me just say that if i was making millions of dollars a day and i had
> the choice of reducing that by 1/2000th or not i would not choose to
> reduce it.  as much as i love the free interchange of ideas i will point
> out that commerce is what's paid the internet's bills all these years.

I wasn't using that as an example of them doing something wrong. I've
spoken several places (including here on NANOG) in support of people
doing what they need to do to meet their fiduciary responsibility to
their stakeholders.

My point was simply that there are 2 schools of thought on this issue,
and both are so far out on the poles that meaningful changing of minds
is next to impossible (and arguably, totally unnecessary).

Doug

			-- OK Go