The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 16 18:30:05 UTC 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 8:52 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 15 jun 2011, at 16:52, Tony Finch wrote:
>
>> Ethernet is not designed for huge LANs. If you want that you need
>> to make significant changes - http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mas90/MOOSE/
>
> Hm:
>
> "Our object is to design a communication system which can grow smoothly to accommodate several buildings full of personal computers and the facilities needed for their support."
>
> Ethernet: Distributed Packet Switching for Local Computer Networks
> Robert M. Metcalfe and David R. Boggs
> Communications of the ACM Volume 19 Issue 7, July 1976

If you take that to mean that they intended to support all of that within a single ethernet broadcast
domain, then, they most definitely failed.

If you take that to mean that they intend it to be a technology which, with multiple ethernet segments,
connected by routers, could scale to meet that goal, then, yes, they succeeded.

Owen