IPv6 and DNS

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Mon Jun 13 01:07:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 01:46:20PM -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
> On 6/12/2011 11:44 AM, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > I don't believe we were talking about DHCPv6, we were talking about SLAAC.
> > And I *still* think it's a better idea for the client to be registering
> > itself in DNS; the host knows what domain(s) it should be part of, and hence
> > which names refer to itself and should be updated with it's new address.
>
> Register with "what/which" DNS?   If no DHCPv6 no DNS information has
> been acquired, so you're doing the magical anycast/multicast.

RFC6106, or local recursive resolver.  Also, recursive resolution is not the
same as DDNS registration with an authoritative server.

> Not a fan of self-registration, in IPv4 we have DHCP register the DDNS
> update; after all, it just handed out an address for a zone/domain that
> *it* knows for certain.

No, it handed out *an* *address*.  Assuming that everything that wants an
address also wants the whole shebang is a whole other issue.

> The host "knows what domains it should be part of" ??  Perhaps a server
> or a fixed desktop, but otherwise (unless you're a big fan of
> ActiveDirectory anywhere) the domain is relative to the environment you
> just inherited.

No it isn't.  If I want someone to talk to my laptop, and I happen to be
roadwarrioring at a client site, do I want to say "hey, just hit
floozy.hezmatt.org", or do I want to have to ask someone "what domain will
my laptop be registered as?" and then work it out from there?

> Letting any host register itself in my domain from any address/location
> is scary as heck :)

So don't do that, then.  Only let hosts that you want to have in your domain
register whatever their current address is.

- Matt

--
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.