The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Jun 12 10:36:48 UTC 2011

On 11 jun 2011, at 16:39, David Conrad wrote:

>> There is no point in repeating all the IPv4 mistakes with IPv6, if that's what you want, stay on IPv4.

> As should be apparent by now, the vast majority of people don't want to move to IPv6.  They simply want access to "the Internet". ISPs are looking for the easiest/cheapest way to do this, which generally means the way they've done it in the past.  Forcing them to change simply slows things down.

Ok, removed my snarky comments on trying to be fast this late in the game.

The problem is changing DHCPv6 so people want to deploy it more means waiting a couple of years for the changes to start appearing and then many more years for the non-changed systems to disappear. How doing this makes anything faster is a mystery to me.

People just have to get over the fact that IPv6 is different from IPv4 in some regards and it's too late now to change that, because we're already way behind deploying IPv6 before the IPv4 addresses run out.