Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Sun Jun 12 02:00:30 UTC 2011

> Also remember there are a lot of moves afoot to *make it illegal* for
> cities
> and other municipalities to deploy last-mile fiber, as we discussed a
> couple
> weeks ago.  Who's responsible for most of that?
>
> Verizon.
>
> Can you spell FiOS?
>
> My assertion's been that they need it to save them from 30 years of "cut to
> clear", but someone with some insider knowledge told me once that it at
> least isn't that *everywhere*...
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Well, Time Warner too, F'r instance North Carolina.

See analysis
http://www.muninetworks.org/content/digging-h129-another-bill-nc-limit-local-authority-and-broadband-competition

Not exactly illegal but so many hoops that nobody will jump

I suppose the TW argument is that they need a monopoly to justify investment

Here in NYC, in exchange for a franchise, Verizon had to promise universal
coverage by mid 2014
http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2008/verizon-files-application-and.html
and there was no exclusive deal.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com