Question about migrating to IPv6 with multiple upstreams.

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Sun Jun 12 01:50:22 UTC 2011

I have an interesting situation at a business that I am working on. We currently have the office set up with redundant connections for their mission critical servers and such, and also have a (cheap) cable modem for general browsing on client machines.

The interesting part is that the client machines need to access some customer networks via the main redundant network, so we have a firewall set up to route those connections via the redundant connections, and everything else via the cheaper, faster cable modem. NAT is used on both outbound connections.

With IPv6, we are having some trouble coming up with a way to do this. Since there is no NAT, does anyone have any ideas as to how this could be accomplished?

In a nutshell: how do you have 2 upstream connections, and choose between them based on outbound destination?

thanks,
-Randy