Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sat Jun 11 11:20:36 UTC 2011

On Jun 11, 2011, at 1:54 AM, Chris Adams wrote:

> IIRC in the several years I
> had ISDN service, my bill was never exactly the same amount two
> consecutive months (and I never had any usage charges, so it wasn't
> because of that).

I upgraded several years ago to ISDN at home to move the D<->A conversion to my house to get clear dial-tone.  About every other bill the price is adjusted up or down 2-3c due to some 'change in price'.  I get 2 lines plus caller-id delivery for under $55/mo.  Mobile/IP telephony for long-distance instead of sending it out the BRI.

I've debated canceling the service and porting the number over to the verizon home connect box as it'd lower the cost to $19 and still leave the kids with the experience of learning their phone number and the babysitter having something they can dial with.  It also likely has better battery time than my UPS setup for when the power goes out.

Haven't quite convinced myself to dump the ISDN yet but i'm getting there.  I do figure it's a mixture of "sticking it to at&t" to keep the service active vs "is it actually worth it".  I still have a modem (not sure i'd know where to dial) if I needed to dial-out to someplace in the event of a major internet meltdown to assist.

Time to revise that continuity of operations plan? :)

- Jared