AAAA on various websites, but they all forgot to enable them on their nameservers....

Igor Gashinsky igor at gashinsky.net
Wed Jun 8 19:49:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Jeroen Massar wrote:

:: It is really nice that folks where able to put AAAA records on their
:: websites for only 24 hours, but they forgot to put in the glue on their
:: nameservers.
::
:: As such, for the folks testing IPv6-only, a lot of sites will fail
:: unless they use a recursor that does the IPv4 for them.

Speaking strictly for myself, we didn't "forget". First of all,
that's not what World IPv6 Day was supposed to be about -- it's not about
ipv6-only users, it's about dual-stacking content (if your ISP doesn't
have enough ip's to dual-stack their recursive resolvers, you have
bigger problems right now :) )..

Also, and more importantly, our data shows that 0.5% of the users can't
resolve hostnames if we enabled AAAA glue on all resolvers... And, before
somebody asks, I don't have any data on what happends if you enable
v6-glue to only 1 of your NS's though :)

-igor