Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 3 16:13:31 UTC 2011

On Jun 3, 2011, at 5:27 AM, fredrik danerklint wrote:

> The problem is not all on Microsoft at this case.
>

> For example; I've bought a ZyXEL P-2612HNU-F1(which has
> 802.11n Wireless ADSL 2+ 4-port gateway 2 SIP 2 USB 3G Backup)
> in december 2010. It basiclly has everything in it.

OK...

> How do I as a customer do to have a working IPv6 setup on this modem since
> ZyXEL, basicilly, has decide that it will not support IPv6 at all?

You don't. However, that's not the issue. All you need to do is make sure
that your Micr0$0ft boxes don't think they have working IPv6 behind
your ZyXEL and you're fine for now.

Of course, if your home gateway vendor has decided that they will
absolutely not support IPv6, then, it's time to get a new home gateway.

> I mean, you can not say it does not have the the cpu power for handling IPv6
> when it can also act as a fileserver and a printserver for example.

True, but, it may not have the flash or RAM to handle the job.

> What they (ZyXEL) are saying to me (for not haveing IPv6 at this moment) is
> that they don't have the skills to implement IPv6 in their current products.

I would let them know that they are overdue for developing this skill
set and better get cracking if I were their customer.

> Think about all the CPE that will not be upgraded, since those that makes them
> don't care at all, even tough it probably has the cpu power to handle IPv6.

I think part of the point of W6D is to identify these and raise awareness among
the users of such devices that a vital upgrade is in their near future.
By just hotwiring past the IPv6 issues, Micr0$0ft is removing this opportunity.

> And I haven't even started at the network equiment that exists between me as a
> ISP and my customer (this equiment is out of my control), that can't handle
> IPv6 even if my customer got an working CPE with IPv6.

That's what solutions like 6rd and 6in4 are intended for.

> How fun is that?

There are many things that are fun in this industry. The next couple of
years are definitely going to be interesting.

Owen