[BULK] Re: SORBS contact

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jul 30 14:12:09 UTC 2011

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:46:13 EDT, William Herrin said:

> Point taken. Bounce reports, temporary failure reports and successful
> delivery reports. Nevertheless, it still isn't for "other
> programmatically generated mail." In fact, the next paragraph in RFC
> 5321 4.5.5 says:
>
> "All other types of messages (i.e., any message which is not required
> by a Standards-Track RFC to have a null reverse-path) SHOULD be sent
> with a valid, non-null reverse-path."

tl;dr: 4.5.5 says SHOULD instead of MUST for a *reason*.

RFC2119:

3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

I know for a fact that the LSoft guys thought long and hard about it, and
decided that "Yes, 99.998% of the mail will go out with a non-null reverse
path. But the other 0.002% of administrivia and confirmation mail will best
serve the network interests if they are sent with a null reverse path so they
are treated similarly to bounce messages, even though they aren't an
RFC-blessed bounce message".