OOB

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Tue Jul 26 21:34:04 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: OOB Date: Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:14:21AM -0400 Quoting Christopher Morrow (morrowc.lists at gmail.com):
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Paul Stewart <paul at paulstewart.org> wrote:
> > We do everything in-band with strict monitoring/policies in place.
>
> what do you do if your in-band fails? if a router/switch/ROADM is
> isolated from the rest of your network?
> (isn't that the core point of the OP?)

Vendor C sells nice small routers with something like CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC
_and_ a 3G modem instead of the BRI port. The 3G modem keeps its
connection up (our telecom provider has true flat rate on domestic 3G,
YMMV) and VPN's to the head office much like any other telecommuter. This
cuts through all telco stupidity with firewalled or NAT'ed 3G phones
etc, especially if one uses the break-out-from-hotel-LAN functions of
the VPN system. The router of course actively keeps the VPN up and
reestablishes it if needed.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668