Comcast Bussiness Class and GRE Tunnels

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 26 17:14:15 UTC 2011

I needed fast reliable internet access at home, so, I have Comcast Business
Class for fast and Raw Bandwidth DSL for reliable. I have my own ARIN
direct assignments for my internal networks and I have routers in a couple
of colo's where I get my true upstream connectivity.

I run a Juniper router here at home and in one of the colo's. In the other
colo, I use the datacenter's router to terminate the tunnels. I use GRE
tunnels to both cool's across both Comcast and Raw Bandwidth and run
BGP to my house (small router) feeding default to the house and getting
the local prefixes (192.159.10.0/24, 192.124.40.0/23, 2620:0:930::/48)
advertised upstream to the colo routers.

The colo routers are full-feed BGP speakers.

My Comcast gateway is running in straight L2 bridge mode, so, there is
no issue there. When Comcast changes my IP address, things get very
slow until I can reconfigure the tunnel end-points. Raw Bandwidth provides
me with a static address.

I'm not doing any NAT and the GRE tunnels carry all of my actual traffic.
The Comcast and Raw Bandwidth internet feeds are used only to provide
L2 transport for the GRE tunnels.

This allows me to do convenient cost-effective multihoming without NAT
at home using commodity internet access.

Owen