Comcast Bussiness Class and GRE Tunnels

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 15:38:38 UTC 2011

I have GRE tunnels and l2tp tunnels over those comcast boxes.  l2tp is less
hassle because it handles NAT, but you can do GRE instead -- just make sure
you assign yourself a public static IP.

First, go into the gateway and make sure all firewalls are disabled (it has
a web GUI).

Second, if it's the comcast SMC 4 port "gateway" thing I think it is, the
device is somewhat retarded.  You plug into the switch and pull DHCP, and
you get a natted address and it routes.

You can plug into the same switch and set a static IP on your device
(internet public IP), and it will work without NAT, assuming your account
has a static IP.

Set said static IP on your microtik box and it should pass end-to-end
without drops.