OOB

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Jul 26 15:04:40 UTC 2011

Honestly - in our core network, this has only happened once in almost 10
years... seriously.  Everything in our core networks is redundant ... yes, I
know redundancy breaks of course ;)

When it did happen, we had remote hands reboot the equipment and everything
was restored in approximately 30 minutes.

I'm not saying boldly that we won't get caught with our pants down some day
- just that previous experience has shown us to be prepared for the worst
and the worst hasn't occurred. We have looked at OOB options and it's been
discussed many times - it just slips off the radar constantly.  Maybe it's
"once bitten, twice shy" that needs to occur for the priority to change
again.