OOB

Tim Eberhard xmin0s at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:30:43 UTC 2011

In my experience having your management run over product via VPN is
not a great idea. If possible separate the two.

Having been in Ops for many many years and having worked on both a
well built nationwide network with a dedicated management/oob
infrastructure that is completely separate from the CDN and working on
a not so well built nationwide network that is built as cheap as
possible with VPN's running over the production CDN.. I would highly
recommend separating the two.

No amount of policies or procedures will prevent your management
network from going down during critical times. In my experience both
MTTR and the over all sanity of anyone working on that network starts
to go down the drain as they are always worried about impacting
management and isolating themselves, or during an outage unable to fix
the problems at hand in a reasonable amount of time.

I understand not everyone can spend the money to have a dedicated
management infrastructure, but it's well worth every penny when done
correctly.

Just my 2 copper.
-Tim Eberhard