in defense of lisp (was: Anybody can participate in the IETF)

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Wed Jul 13 07:25:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>> I fear that at its worst and most successful, LISP ensures ipv4 is the
>> backbone transport media to the detriment of ipv6 and at its best, it
>> is a distraction for folks that need to be making ipv6 work, for real.
>
> i suspect that a number of lisp proponents are of that mind.  i do not
> think it does a service to the internet.

My understanding is that transport over v6 is indeed on everyone's
mind and absolutely is a goal for all the LISP people.  So on this
particular point, your concern is being addressed.

What LISP has not done is actually improve the root problem of scaling
up the number of multi-homed networks or locators.  The cache scheme
works if you imagine an ideal Internet where there is no DoS, but
otherwise, it does not work.  All the same problems of flow-cache
routing still exist and LISP actually makes them worse in some cases,
not better.  It also adds huge complexity and risk but what value it
adds (outside of VPN-over-Internet) is questionable at best.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts