Anybody can participate in the IETF (Was: Why is IPv6 broken?)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Jul 13 06:22:20 UTC 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 10:59 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> I didn't claim it would work with existing CPE equipment.  Declaring
> 6to4 historic won't work with existing CPE equipment either.

If the hosts behind it stop using 2002::/16  addresses as a product of a software update which seems rather more likely (also there some evidence for that), it will. that said yes one assumption is that you have to continue to support it.

<snip>

>> It is really hard to justify the expansion and deployment of new relays =
>> when in fact tunneled traffic can be observed to be on the decline =
>> (possibly because devices particularly hosts that do receive regular =
>> updates receive tweaks to their address selection algorithm).
>> =
>> http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2011/04/six-months-six-providers-and-ipv6/
>
> Which may or may not be a short term dip.

correlation is not causation but...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/11/apple-fixes-broken-ipv6-by-breaking-it-some-more.ars

>  We are yet to see much in the
> way of IPv6 only content.  When that appears, which it will, the tunneled
> traffic will go up unless ISPs have deployed native IPv6 to all customers.
> Are you willing to bet on which will happen first?

I'm willing to bet that subpar experience due to auto-tunneling is considered a liability for content providers.