Anybody can participate in the IETF (Was: Why is IPv6 broken?)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Jul 13 04:48:19 UTC 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 7:20 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

>>> Those are all REALLY bad ideas. Speaking as an operator, the best thing you
>>> can do to alleviate the problems with 6to4 is operate more, not less 6to4
>>> relays.
>>
>> Unless of course the large providers get their shared transition space in which case all 6to4 behind it will break in a really ugly way, pretty much exactly like in the mobile operator in question.
>>

> Actually, if those same providers run 6to4 gateways/routers on their networks
> in that shared transition space with public IPv6 addresses on the exterior,
> it would not break at all.

arin 2011-5 specfically cites numbering cpe in space as the justification for deployment.

the cpe therefore have to be natted and you are implying that you'll be natting the 6to4, overall I'd put that in the less desirable category as far as violating expectations go...

> As I said, the resolution to the 6to4 problems described is to run MORE, not
> less 6to4 gateways.

Are you advocating draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel-02

>> The goal of 6to4 to historic was not to encourage the outcome described, it was to take having 6to4 as a default method of any kind off the table going into the future. If mature adults want to use it great, but conformance tests shouldn't require it, CPE shouldn't it on just because what they think they have a is a public IP with not filtering and hosts shouldn't use it unless told to do so..
>>

> I have no problem with saying 6to4 should not be enabled by default. However,
> that doesn't change the fact that the best way to resolve things given current shipping
> software and hardware is to deploy 6to4 gateways in the appropriate places.

and we have http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-advisory-02

The fact of the matter is more 6to4 relays is only an anodyne as is rejiggering the address selection priority, the pain may go down it won't go away.