NANOG List Update - Moving Forward

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jul 12 16:37:49 UTC 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Brielle Bruns wrote:

> Looks like parts of the received like are still there, though butchered and mashed in (most likely in a non-RFC compliant manner) with the one added by 'bulk_maler v1.13' (great name for the mailer, btw, sets off my spammy sense something fierce).

You seem to be new here.

bulk_mailer was something used back in the day to workaround limitations in sendmail for those people operating majordomo (and those using smail etc).  it broke the chunks into something that sendmail would then allocate multiple processes to.  most other mail subsystems can handle the multiple-rcpts in different manners.

while it may 'feel' spammy to you, it's certainly not.

a simple google of "majordomo and bulk_mailer" should give you a good idea of what's going on.

there were a lot of other mail systems that served to help integrate and interoperate back in the day, including qmailer, smail, etc that all attempted to replace sendmail, including providing the uucp interaction necessary for those behind dialup.

either way, please try to keep the feedback off-list for now as we undergo this transition.  It's hard to move a large list like this without trouble.  I've been party to many such list moves in the past and they usually have all sorts of trouble.

admins at nanog.org is the right place for your feedback right now.

- Jared