Anybody can participate in the IETF (Was: Why is IPv6 broken?)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 11 19:18:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:

>> Do you find this adjustment objectionable?
>
> Do I think that adding yet another required section to an
> internet draft is going to increase it's quality?
> No I do not.

Joel,

You may be right. Calling out IANA considerations doesn't seem to have
made the IETF any smarter on the shared ISP IPv4 space. And I have no
idea if calling out security implications has helped reduce
security-related design flaws.

On the other hand, calling out ops issues in RFCs is a modest reform
that at worst shouldn't hurt anything. That beats my next best idea:
asking the ops area to schedule its meetings with the various NOG
meetings instead of with the rest of the IETF so that the attendance
is ops who dabble in development instead of developers who dabble in
ops.

You disagree? What are your thoughts on fixing the problem?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004