Anybody can participate in the IETF (Was: Why is IPv6 broken?)

Darrel Lewis darlewis at cisco.com
Mon Jul 11 18:05:57 UTC 2011

> \
> I have found my input on the LISP list completely ignored because, as
> you suggest, my concerns are real-world and don't have any impact on
> someone's pet project.  LISP as it stands today can never work on the
> Internet, and regardless of the fine reputations of the people at
> Cisco and other organizations who are working on it, they are either
> furthering it only because they would rather work on a pet project
> than something useful to customers, or because they truly cannot
> understand its deep, insurmountable design flaws at Internet-scale.
> You would generally hope that someone saying, "LISP can't work at
> Internet-scale because anyone will be able to trivially DoS any LISP
> ITR ('router' for simplicity), but here is a way you can improve it,"
> well, that remark, input, and person should be taken quite seriously,
> their input examined, and other assumptions about the way LISP is
> supposed to work ought to be questioned.  None of this has happened.

Jeff I've spend many hours working through the issues you brought up (indeed cache management, population, and security are three of my focus areas in LISP, and something we considered when we started this), have been socializing them with the LISP team, and can personally say that I take your comments very seriously.  Or testing group in house as well as on the LISP beta network have been working through these issues.  Also, we've had an email thread going on about this for, by my count, 3-4 replies back and forth.

While I appreciate your opinions above, I have to say that I disagree with them, and also with the conclusions you draw.

-Darrel

P.S. oh and Randy Bush is pretty damn smart. :-)