Why is IPv6 broken?

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Mon Jul 11 08:50:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Tom Hill <tom at ninjabadger.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-10 at 10:14 -0400, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
>> Cogent's policy of requiring a new contract, and from what I am still
>> being told by some European customers, new money, from customers in
>> exchange for provisioning IPv6 on existing circuits, means a simple
>> technical project gets caught up in the complexities of budgeting and
>> contract execution.
>
> "Can we have IPv6 transit?"
> "Yes, please turn up a session to.."
>
> That was asking Cogent for IPv6 dual-stack on our existing IPv4
> transit.

I continue to hear different.  In my first-hand experience just about
three weeks ago, I was told by Cogent that I need to execute a new
contract to get IPv6 added to an existing IPv4 circuit (U.S.
customer.)  This turned a simple pilot project with only a few I.T.
folks involved into, well, I'm still waiting on this new contract to
be executed.  I'm not surprised.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts