Future of the IPv6 CPE survey on RIPE Labs - Your Input Needed

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Mon Jan 31 15:51:09 UTC 2011

On 31/01/11 09:28 -0600, Jack Bates wrote:

>On 1/31/2011 9:23 AM, Chris Conn wrote:
>>As for the DIR-615, it should, but it doesn't...At least, the E3/E4
>>revisions I had.  I contacted D-LINK support and was able to get a beta
>>build that seems promising.  But DHCP-PD over PPPoE works relatively
>>well, minus a couple of little "features".  I am hoping to have that
>>hammered out soon, as the 615 is a capable little sub-50$ home CPE.  But
>>D-Link engineering seems receptive to my observations.
>
>My concern as an ISP is the fact that we provide our own CPE, but
>customers often buy off shelf CPE. This will lead to serious
>interoperability issues if the whole market doesn't get their act
>together.

There's a fine line we're trying to hold with what we support. We want to
establish a recommended list of residential grade routers for our customers
(where appropriate), that they can purchase themselves off the shelf,
without having to deal with the inevitable "you sold me this router, so you
need to make it work with my Wii and I don't feel that I should have to pay
you" type of headaches, if we were to actually sell the routers ourselves.
That rules out 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt, since the customer is
unlikely to get support when calling the vendor.

At this point, I'd be happy with two good options (two different vendors)
to recommend. So far, D-link is looking good.

--
Dan White