Level 3's IRR Database

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sun Jan 30 19:20:51 UTC 2011

On 1/30/2011 11:15 AM, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> Depends on which IRR you use.  The IRRDBs run by RIPE, APNIC and
> AfriNIC implement hierarchical object ownership, which means that if
> you're registering their address space, you can only do so if that
> address space legitimately belongs to you.  This isn't the case on
> third party IRRDBs like RADB, L3 and AltDB.

Which is nice. I just duplicated an ARIN entry in raddb using my
maintainer with all other information the same. Since Level 3 pulls
based on my as-set + my maintainer list, my entry automatically updates
their acl list. Does this mean I can't lie? No. However, IRR's aren't
designed to top lying. they are designed to help in management and
tracking issues.

Jack