Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Sun Jan 30 16:39:45 UTC 2011

On 01/25/2011 11:06 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> "640k ought to be enough for anyone."
>>
> If IPv4 is like 640k, then, IPv6 is like having 47,223,664,828,696,452,136,959
> terabytes of RAM. I'd argue that while 640k was short sighted, I think it is
> unlikely we will see machines with much more than a terabyte of RAM
> in the lifetime of IPv6.

I would be very careful with such predictions. How about 2 TB of RAM ?:

"...IBM can cram 1 TB of memory into a 4U chassis or 2 TB in an
eight-socket box in two 4U chassis..."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/01/ibm_xeon_7500_servers/page2.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/01/ibm_xeon_7500_servers/

I don't know who will use it or how much they will need to pay for it or
even when they will be available,
but they are talking about it (in this case at the last CEBIT in March).

People are building some very big systems for example with lots and lots
of virtual machines.