Connectivity status for Egypt

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 21:40:42 UTC 2011

On Friday 28 January 2011 21:22:55 Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Christopher Morrow
>
> <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Alastair Johnson <aj at sneep.net> wrote:
> >> For instance, our corporate WAN links into Cairo are still up (UUNET
> >> PIP).
> >
> > <cough> that's the MCI PIP</cough>...
>
> probably the .EG parts of that PIP are provided on a partner network
> still ... I don't think they have build of their own gear into the
> country, and there's a high likelihood that if state-security sees
> 'forbidden' traffic on those links they'll request traffic shutdown on
> that network as well.
>
> If you operate a network in the affected country I'm sure you'll have
> to comply with LEA demands...
>
> -chris

It's ironic that in 1991, the Soviet coup leaders had the international voice
gateway shut down but left the Internet link up (who cares about some weird
thing eggheads chat over?), but now, dictators in trouble pull all the BGP
announcements but leave the PSTN up. Who cares about some old thing your mother
uses?

Not impressed by US journalists asking why the WH press secretary can't order
Vodafone to turn their GSM net back on, though. 1) it's not them who would have
to say no to the nice man from Central State Security with his electric shock
baton, 2) VF.eg is half-owned by the Egyptian government...

--
The only thing worse than e-mail disclaimers...is people who send e-mail to
lists complaining about them