Connectivity status for Egypt

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jan 28 16:55:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:17:58 EST, Christopher Morrow said:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Jake Khuon <khuon at neebu.net> wrote:
>
> > I guess this begs the question of whether or not we're seeing actual
> > layer1 going down or just the effects of mass BGP withdrawals. Are we
> > seeing lights out on fibre links or just peering sessions going down?

> out of curiousity, what's the difference though between loss of light
> and peer shutdown?

When Jake wrote that at 2:44AM, it was still unclear if it was government
mandate or accidental.  The difference is that if it was government action,
bringing up a peer may get you a bullet, while relighting a cable that suffered
a shark attack is probably safe unless it was a shark with frickin' lasers
mounted on its head - which is plausible, as covert-action sharks have
been alleged in that region before:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11937285