What's the current state of major access networks in North America ipv6 delivery status?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jan 28 07:42:36 UTC 2011

In message <C96781BF.804FB%john_brzozowski at cable.comcast.com>, "Brzozowski, Joh
n" writes:
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for the insight, however, from an operators point of view one of
> the benefits of 6rd is the simplified deployment model.  The statement
> below regarding how to explicitly provision 6rd CEs is some what
> inaccurate.  This provisioning for some deployments of 6rd could carry
> some complexities which should not be trivialized.

I'm not trying to trivialize the issue.   I think that being able
to have the same prefix layout for ULA and PA addresses is useful.
I also think homes having /48 are useful.

There was also the claim that 6rd *required* a /16 to deliver to
deliver /48's to the customers.  That claim is demonstrable false.
It is not a protocol requirement.  It is the result of a choice
being made to deploy a single 6rd domain covering all of IPv4 space.

There are alternatives and they should be presented.
* 6rd domain covering the whole of IPv4 space.
* 6rd domain per /8 or similar block the ISP has addresses in.
* 6rd domain per block allocated from the RIR's rounded up to the closest
  power of 2.
* 6rd domain per pop.
* 6rd enabled at client request (may require putting the client in a
  appropriate address pool).

Each of these has tradeoffs in complexity, delegated prefix size
and address wastage.  I was aiming for a relatively low level of
complexity with the 6rd per RIR allocation and a /48 delegated
prefixes.  That the 6rd domains would just be a table that is
referred to when generating the final configurations for the DHCP
servers as it is a property of the IPv4 address to be returned and
not the customer.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org