Another v6 question

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 27 15:04:31 UTC 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 6:49 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2011, at 8:33 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see IPv4 go away in ~3 years. Any faster would be too traumatic.
>> I think 6 years is a perfectly reasonable time frame. I think if it takes 11 years
>> it will be because of significant foot-dragging by some key organizations.
>> I'm not convinced that foot-dragging is as likely as some people are, but,
>> there's enough probability to provide some wiggle room in the numbers.
>
> I expect that in ~3 years, we will see dual-stack and /64's handed out in conjunction with an IPv4 address as "common".
>
> The ipv6 zealots talking about anything but a /64 for end-site are talking about a "business class" service.  Even with my static IPs at home, I have no need for more than a single /64 to be used in my wildest dreams.  I could live with ~256 ips for the future.  I consider my tech density "above-average".
>
> - Jared

As one of the IPv6 zealots talking about anything but a /64 for end sites, I
can assure you that I am talking about it for residential class service
not business class.

Your tech density may be above average for today, but, you lack vision
for the future.

Imagine a future where devices form autonomous network segments
and negotiate prefixes and routing for those segments in a semi-
or fully- autonomous fashion.

The appliance net in the kitchen will be managed by a router.
The RFID tags on the products in your fridge and your pantries
will form autnonous subnets with routers embedded in the
fridge and pantries. Each of your home entertainment clusters
will likely form its own subnet.

Even today, it is not uncommon for a residential gateway to support
at least five segments:

	1.	External WAN segment shared with ISP
	2.	Internal wired network
	3.	Internal wireless network
	4.	"DMZ" segment
	5.	Guest wireless network

Seriously, it's important that we do not limit our IPv6 thinking by
our IPv4 mindset. The future is not the present and we will see
much more advanced capabilities in the residential world
going forward if we allow it to happen.

Owen