What's the current state of major access networks in North America ipv6 delivery status?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 27 14:08:05 UTC 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 5:11 AM, Antonio Querubin wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo wrote:
>
>> Reading this thread, and building on many comments to a previous one,
>> I definitely see the need for subnetting a /64 arising sooner than
>> later.

Why?

>> It might not be perfect, It might be ugly, but it will happen. And, if
>> you ask me, I would rather subnet a /64 than end up with a ipv6
>> version of NAT, a much worse alternative.

You should be able to do that today if you're so inclined, but, you lose
some features.

> Maybe not NAT but some kind of proxy ND and/or a migration from routing firewalls to bridging firewalls.  If the broadband provider is only providing a single /64, it's not likely they're gonna be willing to add routes to your gateway.

If they're routing a /64 to your gateway, you're all set. If they're not,
then, how are you getting the /64 in the first place?

None of the providers I've talked to are using single /64s for any
other reason that CPE limitations. The worst case I'm aware of
today is Free.FR who is limiting their customers to a /64 today
due to CPE problems, but, has allocated /60 per customer and
plans to make /60s available as soon as the CPE can support
it.

Owen