DSL options in NYC for OOB access

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Jan 27 05:00:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 08:33:10PM -0500, Warren Kumari wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 6:22 PM, Nathan Eisenberg wrote:
>
> >> You can get a CLEAR WiMAX fixed modem with static IP address for $50
> >> (USD) monthly, or less if you opt for the low-bandwidth plan.
> >
> > I wouldn't dare rely on something of that nature for a lifeline connection.  I'd spring for the extra $30/mo.  It's expensive, but there ain't nothin' like a physical cable when it's 3AM on a Sunday.
> >
> > Nathan

	phys plant is good, nesscy but not sufficant for lifeline.

	for lifeline - your only option is regulated wireline service
	w/o any dependance on external power.  regulated telco voice
	service has a requirement for self-power - usually in the range of
	12+hours.  Not the 90min batteries in most cell towers.

	ymmv of course and you get what you pay for.

--bill