What's the current state of major access networks in North America ipv6 delivery status?

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Wed Jan 26 21:52:07 UTC 2011

Is anyone tracking the major consumer/business class access networks
delivery of ipv6 in North America?

I'm on ATT DSL. It looks like they want to use 6rd? I've only briefly
looked into 6rd. Is this a dead end path/giant hack?

https://sites.google.com/site/ipv6implementors/2010/agenda/05_Chase_Googleconf-BroadbandtransitiontoIPv6using6rd.pdf?attredirects=0

I spoke with impulse.net last year, which appears to serve large
portions of the AT&T cable plant in Southern California. They were
willing to offer native ipv6. Not sure how (one /64, a /48) etc.

I see that FiOS did a trial in April 2010
http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2010/verizon-begins-testing-ipv6.html
(it mentions special CPE). What about verizon DSL?

Comcast is currently conducting trials:
http://comcast6.net/ (anyone participated in this?)

How about TimeWarnerCable? They don't seem to have any sort of v6
offering, on wholesale or retail services.

Am I missing anyone in the DSL/Cable/FTTH market?

As for wireless broadband providers, there is satellite and 3g/4g/LTE. I
haven't looked at the satellite providers. I know Verizon is offering
dual stack on their LTE service, according to a thread a couple weeks
ago.  T-mobile is offering it on the small subset of phones that have v6
capable baseband.

For grins and giggles, how does North America stack up against other
regions, when it comes to access network ipv6 delivery.

Thanks.

- --
Charles N Wyble (charles at knownelement.com)
Systems craftsman for the stars